In 2017, Ecole Bilingue de Berkeley embarked on a school-wide effort to identify key priorities for school, paving the way for the creation of a strategic plan. The plan was launched in September 2018 and sets the direction for the school for the next five years.
A New Strategic Plan for EB: 2018-2023
Philosophy of the plan
- Guides EB through the next five years.
- Emphasizes stability and consolidation along with steady improvement in our programs, practices, and facilities.
- Reaffirms our mission as a bilingual school and our dual identity as a French-American international school
- Doesn't create a new school, but a better one.
Three Strategic Objectives
Objective One: Deepen Our Program
Provide a superior bilingual education by:
- Reinforcing foundational content areas across grade levels
- Develop experiential and project-based learning
- Foster a community of bilingual and multicultural learners
- Differentiate learning
- Strengthen our social-emotional learning program
- Provide a dynamic professional development program
- Inspire a thoughtful culture in our community
- Enhance our integration and impact in the East Bay community
- Expand our international perspective
Objective Two: Advance Our School
- Become the cultural Francophone hub of the East Bay
- Tailor and expand the marketing, outreach, and recruitment efforts to broaden the admissions pipeline
- Identify pricing models and financial aid strategies that provide diverse access, maximize enrollment, and strengthen retention
- Establish, communicate, and execute a value proposition aligned with our core mission, optimally realized throughout the student and family experience
- Set a course for development and admissions efforts that helps support various growing and sustainable revenue streams
Objective Three: Enhance Our Facilities and Finances
- Develop a strategic financial plan
- Enhance our faculty and staff compensation
- Investigate space expansion and economization options
- Enhance our existing school facilities (exterior and outdoor environment of our Middle School, exterior of our Lower School, interior ambience of both campuses, restrooms throughout the school, security of our campuses)
- Investigate further greening and sustainability initiatives
Strategic Plan Community Launch
The strategic plan was launched during a social gathering at the art gallery Kala Art Institute located in Berkeley, on October 2018. Parents, trustees, alumni students, parents as well as faculty and staff joined the event to learn about the new plan.
The presentation of the plan took the form of a 40 minutes long panel with the following participants:
- Mehdi Lazar, Head of School
- Emma Gimon, Board chair
- Mark Westover, Strategic Plan Steering Committee Chair and Trustee
- Jennifer Hammond, Middle School Social Studies Teacher
- Benedicte Cambon, Student Support and 5th Grade Teacher
- Christopher Colebourn, SEL Coach and Extended Day Supervisor
The panel was moderated by EB parent and KQED journalist Brian Watt.