This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing to use this website, you consent to our use of these cookies.
Our Story

J-1 Visa Program

Ecole Bilingue de Berkeley is a designated Exchange Visitor J1 visa sponsor under the Teacher Exchange Visa category. We do not work with third-party agencies to find placement for teachers.

Please note that Ecole Bilingue only sponsors eligible Exchange Visitors who are applying for a teaching position at our school — Ecole Bilingue de Berkeley.
What is the J-1  Exchange Visitor Program?
The Exchange Visitor Program (J-1) is a non-immigrant visa (under the Teacher category) for eligible foreign teachers who are approved to participate in the program to teach full time at accredited schools in the USA. "The Exchange Visitor Program fosters global understanding through educational and cultural exchanges.  All exchange visitors are expected to return to their home country upon completion of their program in order to share their exchange experiences". For more information please visit the official website of the Department of State, Bureau of Educational & Cultural Affairs https://j1visa.state.gov/programs/teacher

To learn more about the J-1 Teacher Exchange Visitor Program, please read the Welcome Brochure below

J-1 Program Fees & Other Costs

J-1 Program Fees & Other Costs
All costs are listed in $ USD
Sponsor fees, US Embassy visa fees, SEVIS fees (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) are all covered by Ecole Bilingue de Berkeley for all our J1 visa holders. 

Estimated State & Federal taxes:
Wages in the United States of America are subject to Federal and State income taxes withholdings, and Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA) Deductions. Depending on the country of citizenship of the J-1 Visa Holder, they may be eligible for certain tax treaty benefits. Please refer to the IRS regulations and guidance. J1 visa holders on their first J1 visa in the USA are generally exempt from Social Security and Medicare taxes for the first two calendar years. J1 visa holders pay California state income tax.

Estimated Living Expenses in Berkeley and the East Bay 
Monthly Estimate per person
J1 visa holders are responsible for all living expenses, such as housing, food, transportation, etc. The following expenses are estimates of monthly costs a J-1 Visa Holder can expect to pay while residing in Berkeley and in the surrounding East Bay area; these estimates are based on one person and may vary based on lifestyle choices:

RENT (Private one-bedroom rental)
* Rental deposit generally equal to one month’s rent
$2,000 and up
RENT (Shared rental) $900 to $1,400 
UTILITIES  $80 and up
GROCERIES $350 to $500
INTERNET $50 and up
CELL PHONE  $50 and up
TRAVEL & ENTERTAINMENT Varies based on your needs and budget

*The estimated cost of living increases with each added dependent.

Insurance Requirements
Prior to leaving the home country and for the duration of the Exchange Visitor Program period as indicated in the DS-2019 Eligibility Certificate, a visiting teacher must have the following insurance coverage pursuant to 22 CFR Section 62.14:
    • Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
    • Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000
    • Medical evacuation in the amount of $50,000
    • $500 deductible or less per accident or illness

Cultural Component

Exchange teachers will be required to complete, within the United States, and during each academic year of program participation, at least one cross-cultural activity from each of the following two categories:
    • An activity for the teacher’s classroom, larger host school or host school district population, or the community at large designed to give an overview of the history, traditions, heritage, culture, economy, educational system and/or other attributes of his or her home country; and
    • An activity that involves U.S. student dialogue with schools or students in another country, preferably in the exchange teacher’s home school, through virtual exchange or other means, in order to supplement the goals of the in-person exchange.

Exchange Visitor Program Hotline

To help safeguard the health, safety and welfare of all exchange visitors, there is an Exchange Visitor Program (EVP) Emergency Hotline – 1-866-283-9090 – a 24/7 toll-free telephone number that allows exchange visitors to directly contact the Department of State in emergency and urgent situations.  A Department representative is available 24 hours a day.

Read our J-1 Visa Brochure for more information.

All Are Welcome! (Anti-Discriminatory Policy)

Ecole Bilingue de Berkeley does not exclude from participation in, deny the benefits of, or subject any individual to discrimination on the basis of race, nationality, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, or religion. This policy applies to all programs, services, and facilities, including applications, admissions, and employment.