Our school has created a new council called “le Conseil Ecole-College” (Lower School-Middle School Council). The mission of the Conseil Ecole-Collège is pedagogical and is requested by the French Ministry of Education. The idea is to foster communication between the lower and middle schools, specifically as it pertains to the transition of students from 5th to 6th grade, and to ensure that teachers are communicating with each other with respect to expectations and curriculum. Its goals are numerous:
- To avoid a break that can be a failure factor for the student entering middle school
- To Increase fluidity of the student trajectory in their learning journey
- To reduce the distance between the elementary school teachers and the MS teachers
- To harmonize the teaching practices
This committee, which is composed of the cycle 3 teachers (grade 4, grade 5 and grade 6), will meet twice a year and will address topics such as :
- Homework harmonization between the lower school and the middle school
- Curriculum harmonization (French, Math, Sciences)
- Harmonize differentiated instruction practises
The first council met mid-January and teachers discussed curriculum harmonization between the lower school and the middle school. Sub-groups were created to work on each subject matter, on which they will report to the whole council by the end of the school year.
Our students will greatly benefit from this council because the end-of-year expectations in each subject will be reviewed and the transition between grade 5 and grade 6 will become smoother.