Founded in 1977 by a group of parents.
- Total enrollment: 395 students
- Preschool/Kindergarten: 112 students
- Elementary (1st-5th): 186 students
- Middle School (6th-8th): 97 students
16 students per class on average
41% students of color
- Preschool/Kindergarten: 8:15 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- Elementary (1st-5th): 8:25 a.m. - 3:30 p.m
- Middle (6th-8th): 8:20 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- Extended Day care runs from 7:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. (except COVID)
- 40% of families receive reduced tuition through the EB financial aid program
- $10,837: average amount given per student on financial aid
2.3 Acres Campus
- Dedicated Preschool, Lower School and Middle School play yards
- Outdoor learning environment featuring slides, soccer and basketball fields, outdoor amphitheater and water creek
- Vegetable garden with chicken coop used in garden class
- Dedicated indoor mini-gym for Preschoolers and Kindergartners
- Dedicated art room, maker space, music room and performance space
Faculty & Staff
- 65 full time faculty members
- 11 years: average faculty tenure
High School Placement
- 95% of students applying to private high schools get their top choice
Ecole Bilingue de Berkeley is a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit since its founding in 1977 (Tax ID: 94 242 7286). EB is a leader in the field of international education and holds numerous accreditations from highly recognized organizations.
French Ministry of Education
EB is accredited by the Ministère de l’Education Nationale (French Ministry of Education), which certifies:
- that we follow the French national curriculum;
- that our French-program teachers hold credentials appropriate to their program and grade level
- that EB students can transfer to any French school worldwide
California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
The California Association of Independent Schools is a non-profit organization of approximately 200 elementary, middle and secondary schools in California. CAIS:
- sets standards of academic quality and ethical conduct
- provides for the professional growth of faculty, administrators, and trustees
- promotes ethnic and socio-economic diversity
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
The Western Association of Schools and Colleges is one of six regional accrediting associations in the United States. WASC accreditation recognizes schools that meet an acceptable level of quality, in accordance with established, research-based WASC criteria.
National Association of Independent Schools
The National Association of Independent Schools represents approximately 1,700 independent schools and associations in the United States and abroad. NAIS provides resources in the form of principles of good governance, benchmarking information, and professional development for school leadership.
Mission Laïque Française
EB is partnered with the Mission Laïque Française, a French non-profit organization established in 1907 which runs a network of 119 French international schools around the world. This organization helps EB offer top quality professional development opportunities for faculty and staff.
Agence pour l’Enseignement du Français à l’Etranger
The Agence pour l’Enseignement du Français à l’Etranger is a network of 488 primary, middle and high schools in 130 countries offering programs that meet the standards of the French Ministry of Education, ensuring on-grade transfers to French-affiliated schools worldwide.
AEFE member schools embrace the universal values of tolerance, humanism, equal opportunity, intellectual curiosity, and critical thinking.
Association of the French Schools in North America (AFSA)
The Association of the French Schools in North America is a membership organization of over 50 elementary and secondary schools in the United States and Canada, all of which are accredited by the French Ministry of National Education.
East Bay Independent Schools Association (EBISA)
East Bay Independent Schools Association is an alliance of over 40 East Bay independent K-8 schools.
Ecole Bilingue de Berkeley is ALICE-certified. A.L.I.C.E., which stands for Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, and Evacuate, prepares individuals and organizations on how to more proactively handle the threat of an aggressive intruder or active shooter event.
EB is a partner to be a learning site for Mills College students. Located in Oakland, California, Mills College is a nationally renowned liberal arts women's college with graduate programs for all genders.
Independent Schools Business Officers Association of California
Cal-ISBOA provides professional support and solutions to Business Officers from approximately 220 Independent Schools throughout the State of California.
Parents' Press Award
EB is proud to be named the best bilingual school in Alameda County since 2016 by Parents’ Press, a monthly publication for families living in the East Bay.
Bay area Parents Award
EB is the recipient of a silver award for Best International school by Bay Area Parents, a monthly publication for families living in the San Francisco Bay Area.