Annual Fund Frequently Asked Questions
EB’s Board of Trustees is committed to keeping tuition competitive. One way to accomplish this is to increase revenue through gift income, a standard practice at all US independent schools. Currently, the Annual Fund provides approximately 3% of EB’s operating budget, which is roughly 6% lower than other average Bay Area independent schools. Annual Fund gifts can be advantageous for families as they are:
- Tax deductible
- Adjustable to each family’s financial comfort
- Eligible for corporate matching
- A demonstration of community support to outside foundations, donors, and grant providers
- Make a one-time donation or a recurring monthly gift online.
- Make a pledge. A pledge is a promise of payment, to be fulfilled at a later date, by May 1, 2021.
- Make a gift of cash
Donations made by cash, check, or credit card are tax-deductible in the year the gift is made (Tax ID 94 2427286). Checks should be made to Ecole Bilingue de Berkeley and mailed to EB Development Office, 1009 Heinz ave. Berkeley, CA 94710.
- Make a gift of stock
To contribute the fair market value of appreciated securities and avoid capital gains tax on the appreciated value of stock, parents can make gifts of stock. The attached form should be filled out and sent back to EB Development Office, 1009 Heinz ave. Berkeley, CA 94710.
- Check to see if you have a matching gift
Parents can make their gift go farther! Many companies offer matching gift programs to double or even triple employee contributions to nonprofits. Parents should check directly with their employer to find out if they participate in matching gifts. Learn more.
Every effort is made to keep our tuition affordable for our families. A "tuition gap" is the difference between tuition and the true cost to educate a student. Our actual cost per student is approximately $3,000 more per student than tuition. The Annual Fund helps support this gap.
- High parent participation is seen as a vote of confidence—a sign that parents and the entire EB community support the school’s mission and its children.
- It inspires outside funding sources, such as foundations that support capital campaigns and similar efforts. These organizations gauge the worth and impact of their grants on the community’s own commitment to the school.
- Participation is also leveraged through corporate matching programs, where a single donation can be multiplied.
- EB is evaluated for accreditation by the NAIS and CAIS (National - and California Associations of Independent Schools), during which time parent participation and giving are considered as an indicator of a vital and supported school community.
Every gift, whether large or small, has an important impact on the operations, health and spirit of our school.
Annual Fund donations are used to support all of EB’s operations and programs for the current academic year. The funds support our school’s diversity through financial aid, continued programmatic excellence, a fully integrated bilingual curriculum, arts and citizenship programs, technological resources, faculty development, library, student support services, and more.
Due to the ongoing pandemic, it is more crucial than ever to ensure that our school is financially stable and able to adapt to the changing circumstances.
In addition to financial assistance, teacher salaries, program expenses and the “normal costs” of running the school, this year’s AF will go towards COVID-related safety measures and expenses, including:
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Cleaning materials (UV lights, cleaning personnel, cleaning products, etc.)
- COVID Testing costs
- Air filters
- Hand sanitizer
- Extra iPads, televisions, and other technology
Yes! EB is a registered 501(c)(3) organization. Our tax ID number is: 94 242 7286.
The Development Office is pleased to answer any questions you may have about the Annual Fund, or to assist you in making a donation. Contact:
Mei-Lin Ha Byers (firstname.lastname@example.org) 510-809-0605, Director of Development
Gaëlle Feliz (email@example.com) 510-809-0636, Development Coordinator
Véronique Jordan (firstname.lastname@example.org) 510-809-0619, Development Office Assistant